If you want to add beauty and value to your home, then look to your hardscape and landscape. Pavers are versatile, beautiful, and durable. There are various types of pavers, as well as many designs.
Most homes come with a basic concrete patio. Functional, but not attractive. It’s a good base to start from, but why not punch up the look? Pavers can add beauty and value to your home.
Not sure what the differences are between types of pavers? Need some design ideas? We have the answers to your questions!
Types of Pavers
Pavers are used on outdoor projects, such as driveways, footpaths, patios, courtyards and landscaping. There are four basic types of pavers: brick, concrete, permeable and porcelain.
Brick pavers are made from clay, formed into shape and baked in a kiln.
- retain their color because of the natural clays used;
- may chip or crack, but they will last generations;
- have a timeless look;
- resist staining and require less maintenance and cleaning.
- are more expensive
- are limited in color choices
- are more labor intensive to install
Concrete pavers are made from cement and aggregate that is poured into forms, compressed, and air cured. Concrete pavers come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors. They are frequently used in driveways, patios and walkways. Belgard offers contemporary modular pavers, traditional cobble and brick pavers, and options with the look and texture of natural stone patio pavers.
- can mimic stone;
- are less expensive than brick;
- have more design and color options;
- are easy to install and could be a DIY project.
- fade in color because they are dyed with pigments, not made of natural clay;
- may need more maintenance, such as applying a sealant to prevent erosion and preserve the color;
- may vary widely in quality from one manufacturer to another so you have to do your research first.
Permeable pavers can help environmentally conscious homeowners and commercial property owners go “green.” These pavers, also known as “permeable interlocking concrete pavements” (PICP), allow water to drain freely to the ground beneath and can be used in constructing driveways, pathways, and patios. Like all pavers, there are pros and cons.
- help rainwater drain into the soil, not runoff into storm drains;
- are porous and keep paver surfaces cooler;
- don’t collect standing water, which can damage other paving materials through the freeze/thaw cycle.
- are more expensive and require a specialist to install them;
- need regular jet washes to prevent build-up between pavers and keep them permeable;
- don’t hold up well to very heavy-trafficked areas such as commercial parking lots.
Outdoor porcelain pavers are similar to indoor porcelain tiles, only thicker and more durable. They have much to offer as a decking and landscaping material.
- come in more sizes. Besides the usual 24” x 24” paver, you can get them as small as 4”x4” and even “planks” as long as 48” long.
- are easy to clean, require minimal maintenance and are mold, mildew and moss resistant;
- are freeze/thaw cycle resistant, a big plus with our Michigan winters.
- are more expensive than other pavers;
- require more care because they are more brittle and could chip during installation;
- require more extensive preparation before installation.
Whether they are brick, concrete, permeable or porcelain, pavers are an excellent choice when designing outdoor hardscapes. Pavers can add beauty to your landscape, increasing the value of your home. They are versatile and durable.
J & S Landscaping is an Authorized Contractor for Belgard pavers. These can be used for patios, walkways, driveways and retaining walls. Here are some projects J & S Landscaping and Belgard have created.
Pavers add beauty and value to your home. This paver has a timeless, hand-cobbled appearance, reminiscent of Old World cities. Belgard carries Bergerac® pavers, with a trademark dimpled surface, unique color blends, and a variety of sizes.
Bill Brower of Commerce Township had high praise for the work J&S Landscaping did on a retaining wall on his property and a front walk and porch.
Ready to add beauty and value to your home? Contact J & S Landscaping for more ideas for your walkways, patios, driveways and retaining walls. Call 248-366-7980.